Thursday, February 2, 2012

How to find out what kind of peer pressure your kids are under.

You're probably wondering why I'm on the inform your teen band wagon. Well my pre-teen is offically Teen and the few times I've worked in the junior/high school as a TA I can see the pressures and influences and temptations that these kids are in every day and that's at a Private Christian School.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MOM AND DAD! I have a question for you. If I told you that your son or daughter had a 17% chance of dieing from a disease in their teens would you vaccinate them from it? Would you research to find ways of preventing it? Would you talk to your child about the risk of such a disease?

Your kids are under pressure everyday from potentially life threatening influences, like drugs, alcohol, suicide, self mutilation, and premarital unsafe sex and other...  yet so many parents think "not my kid" "Not their school" "not their friends".

Here are some stats and information for your consideration....
Myth: Young people rarely think about suicide. Reality: Teens and suicide are more closely linked than adults might expect. In a survey of 15,000 grade 7 to 12 students in British Columbia, 34% knew of someone who had attempted or died by suicide; 16% had seriously considered suicide; 14% had made a suicide plan; 7% had made an attempt and 2% had required medical attention due to an attempt.
Myth: Talking about suicide will give a young person the idea, or permission, to consider suicide as a solution to their problems.
Reality: Talking calmly about suicide, without showing fear or making judgments, can bring relief to someone who is feeling terribly isolated. A willingness to listen shows sincere concern; encouraging someone to speak about their suicidal feelings can reduce the risk of an attempt.
Drugs and Alchol (from: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hc-ps/drugs-drogues/stat/index-eng.php) Health Canada
  • The prevalence of heavy frequent drinking among youth 15 to 24 years of age, was approximately three times higher than the rate for adults 25 years and older (9.4% versus 3.3%).

  • Among Canadians 15 years and older, the prevalence of past-year alcohol use was 77.0%, not statistically different from previous years.

  • The rate of drug use by youth 15-24 years of age remains much higher than that reported by adults 25 years and older: three times higher for cannabis use (25.1% versus 7.9%), and almost nine times higher for past-year use of any drug excluding cannabis (7.9% versus 0.8%).


  • Sexuality in Youth from Stats Canada
    http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-x/2008003/article/10664-eng.pdf

    in 2005 43% of all teens 15-19 had engaged in sexual intercourse at least once. Click on the above link for more stats.

    Onlline sexual interference with youth from Harvard University http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/sites/cyber.law.harvard.edu/files/1in7Youth.pdf13% of children and youth are sexually exploited online. thats 1 out of 7.

    There are so many stats out there for your information, I didn't even address what goes on in elementary and middle schools. We need to be informed.

    If you want to know what kind of influences your child/teen is under at school ASK THEM!!!! Ask them in a way that is not personal. For example.

    "what percentage of kids in your school smoke marajuana?"
    "What percentage of kids in your class have had oral sex?"

    If they answer 5%, then it needs to be discussed but if the answer is ''like 95%" then you know your kid is under a lot of pressure and it needs to be discussed!" Of course your child is the other "5%" right?!

    2 comments:

    1. Thanks for the info ... I hope every parent can read your info . My son is 12 but this year he will 13 so yes, very nervous , but I the same time need to be clam for any moment in his life the need a friend :-)

      oxoxoxo
      Madam Idea

      ReplyDelete
    2. It's so easy to think our boys will breeze through isn't it but it's tough on them too hey? My son is ten so we're just around the corner Ike's!

      ReplyDelete

    I'd love to hear your thoughts, leave a comment!

    Subscribe via Email

    Enter your email address:

    Delivered by FeedBurner

    Translate