We go through a truck load of yogurt at my house, and now that the teen and I have discovered yogurt protein smoothies we can't get enough. I use plain yogurt a lot in baking and cooking as well and probably spend close to $20/month on plain yogurt. So it's worth making my own for approx $5.00/month. I didn't want to nurse a batch of yogurt every couple of days so when I discovered the Slow-Cooker method I jumped for joy, especially when the first batch, not to mention very first time making my own yogurt turned out fabulous!!
SUPER EASY FOLKS! Don't be intimidated, let the lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus do all the work!
- Pour 1/2 gallon of milk into your crock pot (I use skim, but you may prefer a fatter milk). Heat on high with the lid on until hot and steamy, just before boiling. This takes approx. 1.5 - 2 hrs in my Crock-Pot but varies pot to pot
- Once it's piping hot and steamy take off lid and let cool for approx. 2 hrs, or until warm to touch not hot. (I know I'm so precise, but if you're attempting to make yogurt and can't wing it with intuition in the kitchen then you're on your own. :>)
- Once yogurt is warm whisk in 1/2 cup of plain yogurt (see note) Place lid back on crock pot and this is where we get super high tech. Wrap a nice warm blanket or towel around the entire crock pot.
- Let it sit overnight up to 12 hours or as little as 6hrs. It will look so cozy your toddler will want to sleep with it.
- In the morning or 6 - 12 hours later spoon yogurt into containers and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- VOILA yogurt!
- For Greek Yogurt take the refrigerated yogurt (after the 2-3 hours) and pour into a strainer lined with a cheese cloth or coffee filter and place over bowl. Approx 30 mins - 1 hour. warning this process will reduce your yogurt by half. (which is why Greek yogurt is so dang expensive, but not anymore!! mawhahaha take that Walmart!)
reserve 1/2 cup of your batch of homemade yogurt in the freezer for the next time you make yogurt, repeat this every time you make yogurt and you'll never have to buy it again.